Monday, November 14, 2011

Stockholm Diary: Weekend #1 - Hmmm...

Long story short: I was at Sweden, the country. From Mahalaya (Sept 27th, 2011) to Diwali (26th October, 2011). But the catch here is, I was on what they call a 'Business Visa', so I had to do more of 'business' stuff than something we all are more interested in.


Anyway, Hi :)
Honestly, I have decided not to jam pack my posts with huge number of photographs anymore. As a feedback from Shubhadipa, keeping it short helps the readers. I have broken down the whole trip in four weekends and have created separate posts for every weekend. This, here, is for weekend number 1.


When you are in your own city, you are cautious about the places you go, the mode of transportation you take, the kind of people you ask directions for, but when you are in a completely different land, you just don't care. You are simply out there to soak in the city as much as possible. I and Afsar went out on the first Saturday after our arrival and went straight to Gamla Stan, a place topping the list of 'places to see in Stockholm' over the internet.
The place has a German church that is also as old as the neighborhood. Regular masses are still held in it but it is also open for tourists. When we reached this place, the church was closed. Trust me when I say, I tried. I tried a lot to get the whole church in one single shot but it was so ungodly tall, that I had to settle for some suggestive clicks only.

The brick streets, the facades of half the millennium old structures are so well maintained plus the buildings being used for new restaurants and gift shops in a such a nice way,  that  a casual roam is worth the time. After about more than 45 minutes in the old town, we came out to the edge of the water front.
On a walkway over the water, its blueness in the sun and the signature European pattern of the buildings by it, were presenting a nutritious salad for my camera. Few of my friends have suspected that I have increased the saturation of this picture to make it dazzle than it actually might have. Guys, I have not.

On the ferry, from Gamla Stan we got to know that the Vasa Museum is a place where an old warship is put on display. That ship sank in its early days and remained in the floor of the Baltic sea for 300 long years. Recently it has been recovered and has been put on display with 95% of its structure intact. We both were planning to get inside the museum, but we didn't. But yes, as a thin consolation, I got this horizontal baby from the ferry.
There were two seniors from my office who, at the very beginning of my stay showed me the ways and the ways of the city. One Thursday evening after work, we all went out to find a Chinese eatery. We didn't get the place, but I got a setting sun from the seaside.
Although this was a totally loose shot with absolutely no attention to the details, but the sunset, as I have always believed, is something no one needs to take extra care to make beautiful. Its an entirely self help entity.


A trademark feature of we sofos (a short, I heard somewhere, for software engineers) is we like to spend our weekends compensating the correct amount of sleep we were deprived of the whole week. The first Sunday had no difference (a sofo is a sofo, INdia or OUTdia). Had a brunch when i first opened my eyes that day then again tried to get to some sleep. But when I finally 'woke' up and looked outside the huge glass window, I saw this.
Yes, I know. Sunset again. But could not help. The tall building you see (yes... that one) is the Kista Science Tower. The two most important thing about this tower are: 1. It is the tallest structure in the whole Stockholm (the height includes that antenna) and 2. It was visible from my hotel apartment with just the curtains out of the way. Another trivia about this tower can be: Even though I was  only  about a 1000m away from it the whole time, I didn't get inside the tower.


The following Monday was the Saptami and the entire rest of the week was packed with the celebrations of Durga Puja in India, with me not in being a part of it.


Well... see you in the weekend following this one (below).

2 comments:

Vikas Pratap Singh said...

Dost, One question.. object selection kaise karte ho... I am same view ko agar main dekhta toh shayad ye angle nahi sooch mein aate!!! Too Good.. Keep going.. Btw which camera are you using these days? :)

Rashmila said...

The gate to the church and the 2nd last one capturing the sunset and the water. Both are perfect postcard materials :)
BTW, I thought one needs to be more cautious in a foreign city that in one's won hometown. But yes, soaking the sights and sounds is important :P