Sunday, January 31, 2010

P for Prinsep


Hi,

Hope you are doing fine... :) I too am trying my best.

In last few days, I was asked "Isn't Mr.P planning anything new?" I had to say a "No" coz that was the truth. But on the fine morning of the Indian Republic Day (Jan 26th), I got a call from my brother Bishan (Biki) and an afternoon outing got planned. Focus: Ganga.

If you have been to my previous posts (and remember them!), you might be knowing that I had a little early morning session at Ganga already. But I still went out with Biki for three very simple reasons: 1. He wanted me to, 2. I myself wanted to, 3. Mr.P had overheard our conversation on the phone!

Anyway, as soon as we reached the Babughat, my bro got busy with his own camera (believe me guys, he has a flair for snapping). Mr.P already has shown the place to you, so he allowed me to relax a bit. We didn't have any proper plan in place (boys!) but after a cup of flavoured yogurts near Howrah station, we decided to go to the Prinsep Ghat, a place Mr.P has never been to.

Here is what Mr.P got from there.
That arrangement of cables and that big "H" is the a part of the Second Hooghly Bridge, better known as Vidyasagar Setu. And that inscription with a visible JAMES PRINSEP is a structure which stands before the bridge and on the bank of the Ganga. With a view like this, the set of these two can be called as GRAND STAND. What do you say?

The sunset time was nearing. We went a little closer and reached that structure. The photograph of the complete structure was not good enough. But what was fair enough is this one:
Frankly speaking, I still haven't googled who James Princep was for Kolkata, but after standing here, something made me feel that there has to be glorious history behind that name. Only one, just one name comes to my mind whenever I see this picture: WHISPERING PILLARS. Actually a very dear friend of mine, Partha, had shown a very similar picture snapped by him (and I called his one also with the same name). Dude, this one is dedicated to you.!
(by the way... at this very place only a scene of the song Piu Bole from teh movie Parineeta was shot)

We decsended on the Ghat. There were other people taking the photographs of the setting sun, the boats, the bridge and what not. Mr.P also tried but here is what he could do best.
This is how the complete bridge looks like (well, almost complete!) with its reflection disturbed by the ripples and a few trademark boats in front of it. People hire these boats for a hour and a half flawless feast of what we Kolkatans call as the magical Ganga-r Haowa (the Ganges breeze). Biki and I didn't take the trip but believe us, it sure is a treat. Not Mr.P but I call this picture NOSTALGIC. I know its a pathetic name. Please (please) let me be the second one to know if you are the first one to come up with a better one.

While coming back, Mr.P could not leave out the his most frequently shot object. The Sun.
Mr.P, whenever is back from one of his outings, he is sure to be back with a few shots of teh setting sun (is not impossible) and I end up posting it here. I dont knwo if you would agree or not but the setting sun is one of the most beautiful things that we are gifted to see everyday (yes, even a person like me also agrees!). You can see there is no leaf left on that tree and so the picture can also be called SKELETAL. (yes... I do have a poor vocab).

After this one, neither Mr.P nor Biki found anything much interesting to shoot. We took a cab and with a fantastic ride on the bank of Ganges, and not to mention, enjoying the ever refreshing Ganga-r Haowa, reached a restaurant at Park Street.

Honestly, I, as someone who has seen Mr.P doing better, think that you also should let Mr.P know that he might be losing what he had started with. He would be really glad to get your thoughts and comments on these pictures and know his flaws.

Anyway, as usual, it was great sharing a few minutes with you.! :)
Till next time, Bye :)

Cheers.! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are gifted dear. you have a heart to see beauty in people and in your surroundings no matter if others see it or not. this blog makes me feel good... thank u - nini